Church Groups - Bellringers

 

 

The present ring at St.James's is a splendid 8, cast and installed by John Taylors of Loughborough in 1904, with a Tenor of 19cwt in E-flat. This replaced an 1824 ring of eight by Mears of Whitechapel which, in turn, replaced a ring of 6 bells.

The tower was rebuilt in 1709 due to the previous tower and spire having fallen down on January 7th 1698. It was reported that the bells were being rung at the time and that several ringers lost their lives as a consequence. The new tower does not include a spire due to the Brief only yielding one quarter of the sum asked for and so all thought of rebuilding the spire was abandoned (ref. Blunt's, Dursley And Its Neighbourhood).

RINGING

Sunday Services

Morning from 9:00 until 10:00
Evening by arrangement, dependent on services and quarter peals.

Practice

Thursdays from 19:30 until 21:00 (except Holy Week)
All stages up to Spliced Surprise Major

Secretary

Elizabeth Byrne

01453 543536

Ringing Master

Ian P Unsworth

01453 549229

Steeple Keeper

Andrew Bull

01453 542331

 

AWARDSBell Ringers with trophy

  • 2013: Beaney Trophy –  1st Place
  • 2012: Croome Trophy – 2nd Place
  • 2012: Beaney Trophy -  1st Place
  • 2011: Croome Trophy - 1st Place

 

All ringers are welcome to join us for ringing for any service or on practice nights.

We are always keen to recruit new ringers. If you would like to learn the ancient art of church bellringing, please contact the Secretary or Ringing Master. Come along to a practice and see what it is all about and join us for refreshment afterwards.


Bellringers
Webpage icon Bellringers - Newsletter